Monday, February 25, 2008

Vision...

I would never claim to having vision of a "space". I would have made a horrible architect. I did work as a shop draftsman prior to winning my first lottery (drafted into the Army during 'Nam)...I drew all sorts of cabinet blueprints, but they were done from specific measurement requirements (dimensions).

Georgie has this gift of "vision"; she's always been able to see something dimensional in a space, before it actually became a reality. I stare blankly and just have to take her word for it. I'm nearsighted when it comes to "spacial imagination"! (I'd never make it as a 3 dimensional artist)



When we first moved here in 2002, we had this building we called the "Coup". It was slightly short of a disaster area inside. We later were told it had been a sheep barn since the mid 1950's and had 100 head in the building at one time. (it had been a poultry barn previous to that)


The roof rafters had been stuffed with straw and stapled over with a sort of "vinyl" material. This was a means of insulating the building...the north, east and west walls were boarded over with straw inside as well. Eventually the mice must've become a huge issue...they loved this place...so many nice bedding choices! The inside took some doing to just get in! Eventually we cleaned up enough to store things inside.


But, as I said, Georgie has this gift. She suggested this could be a great studio, gallery, and shop space. I'm sure I looked at it like a deer in headlights. Over the next 4 years, we cleaned things up. I'd say she was right! I'll also say I felt like a deer in headlights once again after we got things moved over this weekend...it blew me away! What can I say, she's got the gift and I feel blessed for her to share it with me!


I'll share the new studio/office/gallery/shop space with you...today just the office though; we don't want to over do it!

Oh, we have some more work to do yet, painting walls and putting up shelving in the shop, putting shades on the windows, and some other things. But we beat the snowstorm (raging outside right now) and have the "bones" in place.

Meanwhile, Georgie is working in the house...its changing as I type. I don't suppose she's "seeing things" in there?!!


No comments: