Friday, March 2, 2012

Winter's Waning

"Winter Stubble, Bales"
oil on mounted canvas - 6X12" - © Bruce A. Morrison
(click on image for a larger view)

Still waking up to snow covered fields...the occasional Bald Eagle passing by the farm each morning, repeating the "visit" each late afternoon.  The winter flock of Crows appears much larger this year and they seem to make a small game out of harassing whatever sits long enough to attract attention.

But winter is waning here.  Yesterday afternoon the ice went out on the creek down below, and on the Ocheyedan River to the northeast.  We had heavy "rain"  a few days back - even thunder and lightning, our first for the year.

Georgie saw her first Robin of the year last week, while I think I've been in front of the easel too much and haven't seen a thing yet!

I did decide I had better work on a winter landscape before the "atmosphere " of this season totally melts away.  This is a typical winter agricultural scene for me...and for the "neighborhood" in which we live.  I tried to work more with some negative space in the foreground, using the stubble as a visual guide, directing the composition into the upper center of the canvas.  I worked "juicer" than I have been all winter...the brushes carrying heavier paint and leaving the canvas a little thicker with paint.  I like painting this way, but its not as easy for me as I'd like!  I do hope you enjoy it!

This painting and other new works will be at the Witter Gallery (Storm Lake) in April for my next solo exhibit - I'll give more specific information soon - be sure and keep April open on your calendar!

Here's to a happy ending of the season and an even happier beginning of the next to arrive!

No comments: