Monday, August 28, 2017

It's Begun!

Monarch on Joe Pye
(photograph - © Bruce A. Morrison) 
click on image for a larger view

Late yesterday afternoon I was taking a photograph of this female Monarch butterfly on the Joe Pye weed next to the studio deck...somewhere in the back of my mind was the question - "When will the migration begin?  I believe it must be getting close."

"Valley Shadows and Clouds"
(photograph - © Bruce A. Morrison) 
click on image for a larger view

A bit later I noticed the clouds moving in with an intermittent breeze.  It felt like a front moving through.  I was distracted and spent some time looking skyward and photographing the landscape out front.  On my way back into the studio I noticed several Monarchs in the yard acting as if they were "gathering"; was a roost in the making?!!!

"The Roost Begins!"
(photograph - © Bruce A. Morrison) 
click on image for a larger view 
 
We actually had a roost in the yard - it wasn't a record breaker, like back in 2005 but it was a good first roost especially looking back the past 5 years here.
 
"A Small Roost"
(photograph - © Bruce A. Morrison) 
click on image for a larger view 

I could count 46 individuals; there were a few moving around so there certainly could have been more...tough counting these guys when they aren't totally settled in.
 
It's begun!  Lets hope for a good year for Monarchs in North America - and a safe winter ahead!
 

 

No comments: